Painted Hardwood Floor – Offset Striped Design

I’ve finally made some progress on my painted wooden floor in the guest room, and I’m really excited about the quirky striped design. Here is an overview of the progress made so far…

The picture was taken quite after last night, so it’s a little dark. I will have better day pictures when the ground is ready. But in the meantime, I start at the beginning and I will show you the steps I took to make this painted hardwood floor design.

This soil is about 70 years old, so it has seen better days. He has spots on it, plus he has some gaps between some of the tips. So I started to fill in some of the biggest gaps. My goal here was not to make the floor perfectly smooth. If I had wanted, I would have made a full trowel wood filler specifically designed for hardwood floors. This is the type I used in the Studio. The full wood load trowel for hardwood floors is also available in different colors, so you can adapt the types of wood floor you use so that it looks the same as wood after it is stained and sealed.

But my goal here was simply to fill in some of the biggest gaps before priming and painting. My goal was not perfection, and since I painted the floor, I did not have to use a wood filler suitable for the styles. I just used the same DAP plastic wood filler that I use in all my projects.

After drying, I sanded quickly with my small 5-inch rotary grinder.

Once all the dust was sucked in, I was ready to prime. I used a small 6 inch roller designed for smooth surfaces to roll over The primer. As I had to cover stains, some of which were oil from a dog food bag that had penetrated the unsealed wooden floor, I used an oil-based primer. My favorite primer is oil-based Zinsser Cover Stain. I have never experienced a stain that this primer does not cover.

Here’s what it looked like after most of the floor was covered with the primer…

I let the primer dry overnight, then ground it by hand with 150 sandpaper. It sounds really tedious, but the room is small, so it went pretty fast. And one of my favorite things about Zinsser Cover Stain Oil-based primer is its beauty. When it is dry enough to be sanded, it sends to an incredibly smooth surface, and The primer that Lays is like a fine consistency of chalk dust. When it hits your sandpaper, you know it takes longer to dry.

After sanding and vacuuming the dust, I was ready to apply the first coat of paint. I did not use special floor paint. I rely on my clear top coat to give the floor the durability and protection it needs. So I used exactly the same color that was used on the walls — Benjamin Moore Ben Paint in an eggshell. The color is classic gray. I applied this paint with a six-inch roller for smooth surfaces.

And after two layers of classic gray and drying the floor overnight, it looked like this…

Then I was ready to mark the Design. I started by measuring and marking the middle of the accent wall with my tape measure and pencil. Then I put the ribbon along this line. To carry out the design of the Offset tape, it was planned to mark sections 30 inches wide and first paint all other sections. Then I would come back and paint the other sections.

So you can see that I placed an” X ” to the left of the first volume. This should indicate that this section should not be painted during this first round of painting. So the painter’s tape was placed to the left of my pencil line in the middle of the room, as I was painting the section to the right of the tape.

And from that central mark, I continued to mark sections every 30 inches toward the window, placing the ” X ” over all the other sections that were initially ignored. So from the center of the room to the window, this left me with two sections that I would like to paint first. Again, remember that the tape on the sections that were originally to be painted had to go outside the pencil lines.

After these first sections were recorded, I was ready to mark the tapes in each section. I started by making a mark in the middle of the room with the actual boards (which were barely visible there, but I could still see a few) as a guide for this mark. With a straight edge (that is, a piece of wood) and a pencil, I followed the line of the boards for the initial marking. I’ve improved this marker so you can see it here…

And then with this initial mark as the starting point, and with a scrap piece of 1″ x 5 ” wood, I marked the strips in the first and third section…

And then I used these lines to remove all the other strips…

For these strips, I used the same color used for the coating in the room — Behr Premium plus in satin finish. The color is polar bear. I brushed on two coats of paint for the strips. Here is the first section After removing the tape…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *